History of Christ the King Catholic Church
Christ the King Parish was formally established in July 1947 and was comprised of approximately 400 families. The parish was part of Bishop Vehr's "Complete Parish Plan" for Denver -“...having a church & rectory, school & convent - within walking distance of every Catholic in the metropolitan area.” The first parish building, which housed the church and school, was completed in 1949 and functioned in that capacity until April 1963 when the current church was dedicated.
The church was built at a cost of $623,000 and was designed in the 11th Century Lombard style. The stained glass window behind the altar, which is often referred to as "The Window" was constructed in Trier, Germany and flown to the Denver in 1963. It depicts a living Christ the King and contains symbols of the Four Gospel writers and other images from the Bible. This central window is complemented by seventy-two additional stained glass windows spread throughout the facility.
In fall of 1949 the school had an initial enrollment of 175 students in grades K-6. The staff consisted of five Sisters of the Most Precious Blood Order; grade 7 was added in 1950 and grade 8 in 1951. The original building continues to house CTK Catholic School which now has an enrollment of approximately 230 students grades PRE K-8.
The parish rectory was finished in May of 1951 and served in that capacity for many years. It is now part of the St. John Vianney Theological Seminary and functions as a residence for 12 - 15 seminarians.
The convent, which now houses the administrative offices for the parish as well as religious education rooms and a pre-school, was completed in the fall of 1954 and originally was the home for eighteen sisters, some of whom taught in neighboring parish schools.
The most recent addition to Christ the King, Ballard Hall, was constructed in 2004 and serves as both the school’s cafeteria and a center of social activities for the parish. There are now approximately 1,400 families in parish.